Scrap Reorganizing

May 17, 2018

I spent the last two weeks reorganizing, cutting and sorting my scraps. They can get so out of control, can't they? 

I have always sorted my scraps according to color in bins and this has always worked really well for me. I have a bin for black/grey, pink, red, blue, orange, yellow, purple, brown, and green. I also have 3 more bins reserved for the whites and low volume. One bin is for Kona white and Kona snow (each is in a ziplock bag in the bin so they don't get mixed up), one bin for the low volume fabrics that have color and one bin for tone on tone white/cream fabrics.  


  What I spend the last couple of weeks doing was go through each color bin and cut them up into usable sizes. I decided to not cut the larger than 10" scraps. The rest got cut into 5", 4 1/2", 2 1/2", 2" and 1 1/2" squares. I also saved the longer strips. I am hoping taking it to this level will help me to use them up faster. All the hard work, which is cutting, has now been done, so I can grab and sew or use them in a leader and ender project


All the 2 1/2" squares live in a bin all of their own, but they are stacked according to color. 


It was a huge job, but seeing all the bins sorted so nicely is so satisfying! Now to get back to the sewing machine and make something with them! 


13 comments:

  1. Girl you are killing me! You're so tidy and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wish I could be so organized. I hate it when I KNOW I have a certain fabric or color and can't find it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish my sewing closet looked like that! PROCRASTINATION is a word my 8th Grade teacher wrote on the blackboard and asked if anyone knew what it meant. No one knew, so he said it was something he simply would not tolerate and told us to look it up. I guess I misunderstood his message, because I learned to do that better than anything else I learned all year! I'm the best at putting off straightening up my sewing closet, or in fact, any other closet! Yours is beautiful! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy! I am in awe! Think of all of the extra time you will have because you are organized and ready to sew! I am envious! Keep up the great work! --Erik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Now to keep up with it as new scraps are created!

      Delete
  5. I am glad you are doing the leg work to be ready. I try and do that, but get side tracked.Looks like your shelves are working well for you. Take care chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Are AMAZING - I just want to dive in, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some really good ideas for scrap organizing. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I am so happy you got this done.








    Finally.






    Now, come to my house. ::::::::: helpppppp :::::::::::

    🌷

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could come do mine, but, it would take you much longer than 2 days to get it done. It sure looks neat at your place. Now to sew, and mess things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow no matter what I cannot get my scraps to look so nice and neat. Yours look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been working on the same task - but I use a lot of 2.5" x 4.4" rectangles as well... It's a lot of work to start from scratch - now I have to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...