Scraps

July 27, 2013

I love scrappy quilts, like this scrappy loveliness by Freda's Hive

Picnic Quilt by Freda's Hive
This fun one by Crazy Mom Quilts


And this spectacular postage stamp quilt by Red Pepper Quilts


I have such trouble with making scrappy quilts because I don't enjoy being out of control. Truth be told, I like to be in control in several areas of my life. *ahem* But if you look at all three of these examples, they all have order. Take Freda's quilt. It is made with 2 1/2" squares and 4 1/2" squares. To me that is order. And easy. Except in my mind. So I made a decision to take a new look at my scraps and see if there was a better way to organize them so they will at least have the potential to be used in something as fabulous as these three quilts. Yes, I have high expectations. 

For a while now, I have been storing all my scraps (anything smaller than a fat quarter) by color in shoebox size tubs. That has helped keep my scraps somewhat in control, but I found I still wasn't using the scraps as often as I want and some get so buried, I never see them. I have been considering cutting them and sorting them according to size and not color. The thought has been so daunting that I would talk myself out of it. Until now...

I spent the last 3 days sorting, cutting, tossing all of my scraps. It was a bit scary at first, but once I got going and I began to see neat piles of workable squares, it became easier and it felt freeing! 

Here is my new system....


Larger pieces of scraps (smaller than a fat quarter) sorted by color. 


2 1/2" strips and 5" squares.


2 1/2" squares, 4 1/2 " squares, 6 1/2" squares and a few 6 1/2" x 4 1/2 " rectangles. I already have a plan for these. =) 



A bin of strings.

It was time consuming, but so worth it in the end. =)

What are your idea for organizing scraps? Do you use them? Toss them? Or give them away? 

15 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks fantastic! A while back, I cut up all my old red, white, and blue fabrics into strips for Quilts of Valor. I keep thinking I will use my die cutter to do something like you are doing but I kind of lost momentum :P. Yours looks so great in bins....maybe I can do this....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I might could do that. I just didn't think of it. Thanks for the idea Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great, once I move I'm going to have fun organizing my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful...love them...envious of your organization

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work. I am not that organized. I do put my scraps into 5, 2 1/2, 2, 1 1/2, and 1 inch squares, and also in 2 1/2, 2, 1 1/2 and 1 inch strips. I pull them out when I am paper piecing, or doing something a bit scrappy. I have a plan, to use them someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use my scraps when I get motivated to do it. I cut 1 inch 1.5 inch and 2 inch strips. I also cut 2inch squares and 2.5 inch squares. These are the sizes I use most. Making a string quilt now. Good organization. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't bear to part with even the smallest scrap! I have mine in Rubbermaid containers (big ones) and in the zipper bags you buy comforters in. Totally unorganized! I love how your scraps are visible...I would love to have all my fabrics where I can see them and adore them! I am slowly trying to make my sewing/laundry room more sewing friendly and your ideas inspire me, Amy! Hope all is well with you and your family...I pray for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I so need to do this!!! My scraps would amount to less that 2 shoe boxes all up, but when looking through them for pieces, I am forever struggling to find what I want, lol! ... I would keep smaller scrappy pieces too - just in case I need a small piece for appliqué :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to go through my fabric and do just what you did...my stash is in total chaos right now. I have plastic containers for most of my fabric, but it's those little pieces that throw me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love scrappy quilts, too. The three you've shown are very successful! I've just heard of a great ides - to cut scraps little by little as you're cutting out other pieces, sort of like leaders and enders. But for now mine are sorted by color and by size just like yours used to be. I like how you've now organized them. They will be much easier to use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like scrappy quilts but don't take the time to make them because I usually share my scraps with my bee friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Several of those clear shoe boxes have been stacked in my room for a couple of weeks or more waiting for me to do exactly what you did with your scraps! Yours look great! It's great incentive for me to get started on the same thing! :) Good for you for all that hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful and color scrappy quilt!! Oh, I am embarrassed to say that all my scraps are in one big box that is in desperate need of organization. Soon!! Yours look so neat! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. so organised!! Looks like a great system! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was working on a quilt this week using pieces of fabric that I have had for some time instead of purchasing fabric. I like the way it is coming together but as I was sewing and tossing scraps in my basket I realized I have to do something to get organized. Your ideas are great. I have a large basket sitting by my machine full of odds and ends of scraps. I keep telling myself to cut squares or strips and maybe I will use them. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...