Diamond Hexagon Quilt ~ The Beginning...

August 6, 2013

My first major decision for my diamond hexie quilt was what fabric should I use. I seriously considered breaking into my precious Simplicity stash to make this quilt, but after looking it over, I knew I didn't have enough variety left in my bin to make it interesting. Then I remembered I had a fat quarter bundle of Scarborough Fair by Robyn Pandolf. Perfect!

After sorting through the bundle and deciding which prints I wanted to use, I also shopped my stash for a few more prints that would go with it, I got busy cutting and cutting and cutting. 

Whew! 


800 squares for the diamonds, 100 yellow ones for the centers and some Kona Snow for the path. I will need many, many more path pieces than what I cut yesterday. 

For my quilt, my math man said I will need 94 diamonds for the project to make a 60"ish x 70"ish quilt center. I decided to go ahead and make a few more extra to use them for a pillow or something. The left over fabric from the fat quarters are safely tucked away so I don't use them until this project is finished. I plan my quilts as I go, which means I have no finial vision in my mind yet. 

You can find the free pattern I am following here.

The second decision I agonized over was what kind of templates to use. Did I want to use the mylar ones that I already own, or paper ones and glue baste them? 

I decided to try the paper ones and use glue....


The glue worked great and basted the hexies nicely, the part I didn't like is using the paper itself. I found it felt too flimsy and was hard for me to handle when it came trying to sew the hexies together. There is nothing wrong with the product, it's only my personal preference. I know many who love the paper ones. The feel of the Brandy's mylar templates is much more to my liking, so I will be hand basting the hexies after all. 


Okay...Time to get busy! 

Have a happy day!



9 comments:

  1. Wow this looks fun. Thanks for the links too,, I need to check them out. Happy sewing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be a gorgeous quilt! I have several packs of the 1" hexies and I especially love the Diamond pattern. Maybe I'll pull out my fossil ferns or some other blender and see what I come up with. But I don't have the energy to work on a real quilt! Just a small sample (ie, pillow or table topper) (And why aren't you in the Hexie Hop, hmmm?) Keep us posted with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that pattern - it is in the "to make" folder on my desktop. I've never tried mylar pieces, but I couldn't believe how calm I felt while hand sewing all my little hexie flowers together! I love your fabrics and can't wait to see the end. I am always amazed by how quickly you get your projects done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several of these fabrics..it's going to be pretty !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my..I wouldn't live long enough to accomplish a quilt like this. You GO girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is so much work but it is going to be so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fabric selection! I was surprised to see your choice of pattern--I came up with this very same one awhile back while playing with my hexies! No new ideas under the sun, I guess., hahaha I thought I came up with something new! Silly me!

    I eagerly await your next posts! You finish things so much more quickly than I! Can't wait to see it come together! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fabrics and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is like doing a Dear Jane Hexie Quilt! wow!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...