Hexagon ~ Finish

August 5, 2013

My first epp hexagon wall hanging is finished! The hexie flowers are sewn together and then I appliquéd it to the background fabric like I appliqué my dresden plates.  I couldn't decide what to do in the middle, so I played with a larger hexie flower... 


...and fussy cut the lamb for the center. =) This wall hanging will be going up in my sewing room. It measures 29"x31".


This was my "test" piece, to see if I would like making hexagons and the hand sewing it involves. 

The verdict??

I DO!

I am getting ready to start a larger project. I have my sewing kit all set up and I am auditioning fabric. The  free pattern I am going to follow can be found at Paper Pieces.



I am not ambitious enough to make a queen size quilt that the pattern is written for, so my math man helped me figure out how many diamonds I would need to for a 60"x70"-ish size quilt. Once I get there, I can decide if I want to make it bigger or be done. 


Now back to auditioning fabric. =) I can't wait to get started! 

13 comments:

  1. Your hexie wallhanging is beautiful! Love the little lamb in the center! I am looking forward to seeing your progress with the larger hexie quilt! I love doing hexie quilts, and I have one in progress right now with the diamond shapes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They become addicting. In the car, at an appointment and while watching TV so be prepared. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Hexagons are so addicting :). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy you do such beautiful work! I love your hexie quilt. Congratulations on finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, I have been had hexies and dresden's on my mind all weekend, I am thinking pillows to start! Have a great week Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt you are fixin to start!! And you are so lucky to have a math man lol! Will you piece it all by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lamb! Where did you find fabric like this? So perfect for you. Love the wall hanging. What size are the hexies you made? I can't see myself doing the tiny ones I've seen. But this looks about like the size I could try. Thanks for sharing this. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful and love the polka dot background!! Oh, the diamond hexie quilt is gorgeous!! I would love to give it a try after I finish my flower garden one!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your hexie quilt. You must really like doing hexies with your next project...Wow. That's a lot of little pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hexie flower wall hanging is absolutely gorgeous! I want to make one! I do have some little Hexies sewn I guess I should do something with them. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! I love the polka dots too! Is the fabric you're auditioning Paris Flea Market? It's one of my favorite collections of all times!! Can't wait to see your hexies in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe I have a 'math man' too! I wouldn't be able to do my quilts without him!! Best of luck with your hexie diamond quilt, looks like it will be fabulous :)
    Jessie, xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this arrangement. I've had about 16 GFG blocks made from some historic repro fabric made for several months now and couldn't think of a unique layout. I think yours is to be copied! It's wonderful. Thanks for such a lovely quilt. So happy!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...