Tis better to give...

September 28, 2014

...and, lets face it, it's a lot of fun to receive. =) Can I get an Amen? In July,  Colleen @ Quilting Under the Sun gifted me with some fabric that was gifted to her because she knew I loved 3 Sisters fabric. That sweet kindness makes this quilt very special to me because I had the privilege of enjoying being given to and in return I get to enjoy giving this beauty to a dear friend. =) 

The pattern I used was Bright Sky by Blossom Heart Quilts. I did change up the pattern a wee bit and added an extra star in the center. I also added a boarder so this quilt finished approx at 74"x74". 


A few pictures of how I chose to quilt this quilt. I traced around various cardboard petal shapes and used my Juki to quilt it.  



The creamy white I used is a cotton/linen blend. Loved working with it!






And here is the back...Love this quilt a lot!!






This quilt is for another dear friend of mine. A couple of years ago I purchased a jelly roll at a steep discount. I was sitting far too long just begging to be used. I followed the tutorial by 3 Dudes that Jenny @ Missouri Star Quilting Company shared. 


Here is the back, but you knew that. =)



Close up of some quilting. 


If you follow me on Instagram, you know that my walking foot put two dark oil spots on a quilt I began quilting. To say I was upset is putting it mildly. I am going to try Grandma's Secret to get it out, but I need to finish quilting it first. A new walking foot is on order, so in the mean time, I am going to get back to my Farmer's Wife blocks. 

Other than working (which is really playing), enjoying this weather and going on long bike rides with my precious hubby, that's about all I have been up to. I hope all is well for all of you, my friends!!

Have a very happy Sunday!!


13 comments:

  1. These are both gorgeous quilts...hope you can get the oil stain out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy -
    My newly repaired machine put six oil spots on my mom's quilt last year. I was devastated. I called the shop and they suggested I try Dawn...the original blue kind. It really lightened the stain (of course it was on the WHITE part!) If Grandma's doesn't work it might be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy what lucky friends you have!!! I really like how you added to the first quilt, and of course I love the backs, and the quilting is wonderful!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy when I have a spot I usually put Grandma's on it, the spray on top of that with Zout and if it's really bad I had some Spray and Wash on top of that. :) But Dawn is a good idea too....try Pinterest - there's something you combine Dawn with to make a great cleaner, either vinegar or baking soda or something. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts are beautiful. I do hope the oil spot comes out. I have a handmade quilt my grandmother and her friends made for me and it has tiny little blood spots on it which I keep as it lends the character and labor of love authenticity to my quilt. Creative Quilt Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...that is just awesome....I enjoyed reading the comments about the stains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilts are gorgeous. I have a quilt that I had the oil in the machine do the same thing. I just need to finish the quilting and binding and treat it and throw it into the washer. About your machine. You have a Juki. Which one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen, my friend, and you give so much! Love your work x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the petals quilted in. Very nicely done.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Amy your quilts are gorgeous. You did a fabulous job quilting them. I am so sorry to hear your walking foot left marks on your quilt. I hope the soak works.
    Hugs
    dodonna

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are both beautiful and your quilting is so pretty!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilts are beautiful! Oh no about that oil stain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, i love the 3 dude pattern. We made a charity quilt using the pattern in our quilt group and hope to make one myself. Love the star quilt too. Beautiful gifts of love. The weather has been beautiful for Iowa. Glad you are enjoying some bike rides. Rainy here today.... heading to my sewing room to create some sunshine.

    Your sweet Sewing Sister in Christ,
    Janita

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...