Scrap Vortex

May 4, 2017

I am a huge fan girl of Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts. I have been following her since I first started quilting in 2008. She is such an inspiration. One of my very favorite scrap techniques she shared was the Scrap Vortex. I am not as confident with my scrap quilts, so I tend to use this technique with the left over scraps by fabric line or, in this case, with fabric designers. Controlled scrappy, in other words. 

I apologize for the terrible photography. When I was making this one, the weather had turned very wet and cold. Perfect days for staying in and sewing, but terrible for photography!!

This was the pile I started with, an orphan block and piles of 2 ½", 4 ½" and 6 ½" squares I make with the scraps from left over projects. I make them on days when I need mindless work to do to keep me busy so I don't have to clean the house and it helps keep my scraps under control. In the picture, there are some 4 ½" squares with a 2 ½" x 4 ½" rectangle sewn on one end. My original thought was to mix up the 6 ½" blocks, with the 4 ½" x 6 ½" blocks. I quickly abandoned that idea as the layout was complicated and awkward. I was looking for fun and easy, so I made everything into 6 ½" blocks and began the lay out. 


I ended up having to add 2 ½" squares that were not pieced to make enough 6 ½" squares. In the end they helped to keep the quilt from having bulky seams when the blocks were sewn together. 


I love the orphan block, which is called Scrap Jar Star  by Amber @ Gigi's Thimble and you can find the tutorial for that here. I need to make a whole quilt with that block. 


I love quilts without borders, but I wanted this one a bit bigger. At this stage it measures 54" x 60". I added a small white border to give the eyes a place to rest.


I couldn't decide which fabric to add as the next border, so I added both. It finishes at 69" x 75". 

I know this style of quilt isn't every one's cup of tea, but I really love it and it feels like a free quilt since even the smallest pieces of fabric were used to make it. I do tend to save every little scrap of Bonnie and Camille's fabrics because I love them so.


Have you made a scrap vortex quilt? What fabrics do you find it hard to part with? 

Have a happy Thursday!! 


 photo 2015_sig_zpsfk5a9zt3.png

14 comments:

  1. Your quilt is gorgeous, a work of art. No I've not made one of these yet. I've enough little pieces of fabric for 3 or 4 Kings sized quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome quilt and really took some 'sticking to it' to get it done !

    Congratulations ! Well done !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt, I like that you showed it in different stages of completion! love the extra borders. thank you. Take care and Happy Sewing from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  4. The borders were the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love it scrap quilts are my favourites what I like so much is the added large square have been making random blocks the last 2 days for a quilt and think i will have to make one large block too. My blocks vary in six just a mismash and will probably stay in the scrap box for ages. I have Victoria Findley Wolfe`s book 15 minutes of play which is great inspiration for scraps and have a ticket to hear her lecture at the FOQs in august here in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous scrap quilt! Love the orphan block surrounded by all the other scrappy blocks. I tend to save every scrap that is 1.5 or larger - no matter what fabric line. Yes, mindless sewing - love to insert that too, in between all the other quilt projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this turned out to be such a happy quilt. I love it. I have never made a vortex quilt, I will have to come over some day.
    Fabric. I have a lot of fabric.I save fabric and then sometimes I forget I have it
    Sometimes I find it, and think of a great project
    I thought everyone was mindless like me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your quilt is gorgeous. Great way to use all of those scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! The borders really finished it off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that scrap quilts are my favorite. I have made one using odds and ends of charm squares. I too have a hard time letting go of my Bonnie and Camille scraps. I have the same problem with my Fig Tree fabrics. Your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I have always made random size blocks for scrap vortex quilts and tried to sew them together. I like how you made 6 inch blocks.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...