Big Baby ~ Baby Quilt

June 6, 2018

A few weeks ago, I took advantage of a warm and non-windy day to power baste 5 quilt tops that had I had backings already made for them. This was one of them. It's called Big Baby by Gigi's Thimble. It's an extra large version of her Scrap Jar Star and can be found in her book "Vintage Vibe."  


I chose to densely quilt it with my walking foot using the serpentine stitch on my Bernina. On my machine, it is stitch number 4 and I stretched it out a little bit. I don't recall the exact number, but I think it was 2.75.


When I do quilting like this, I start with quilting on all the seams. In this quilt, I had 9 even rows. Then I divide each of the 9 rows in half and add another quilting line. Then I divided each of those rows in half and added another quilting line. Every time I did that, it multiplied how many more lines I had to quilt between. I almost quit when my quilting lines were roughly 1/2" apart, but I made myself take that extra time and I added that last line to get the quilting to be approximately 1/4" apart and it was worth it!! The texture is amazing!! 


Here it is bound and washed. The batting is Hobbs 80/20. Not my favorite batting because it is pretty thin, but it was what I had on hand. It still shows up the texture nicely. 


And the beauty shots...




Have a happy Wednesday!!


10 comments:

  1. So cute! Looks like it will be nice and puckered when washed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baby quilt is gorgeous and what a good idea to bast it outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt. I have the small version of that block somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is super lovely! Love the quilting on it, but I can see how time-consuming it must have been. Love your fabric choices for this pretty star.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the dense quilting came out! I .might try stretching our my curvy stitch--thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just so so sweet!!! Gooooood Job, Amy!!! Bravo!!! clap clap

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is a great quilt. Love the texture it s awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet quilt, Amy. I love everything about it.
    Your back yard looks so heavenly. I know you and hubbs are enjoying wonderful weather.
    Here, the mosquitoes are out and nibbling me to death
    I want to make a quilt like this one soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love quilt and the quilting. I have a few small quilts to quilt and this looks like a good option for me. Maybe not as close but I have to keep working at it. Thanks for your inspiration, it is always nice to visit.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...