Barn Star II, a shop sample

September 19, 2018

Sometime in the next couple of months, I will be teaching a class on how to piece this darling little quilt by Corriander Quilts called Barn Star II.  For the sample, I chose the fabrics Vintage Holiday by Bonnie and Camille



I am usually wary of charm pack patterns because they often tell you to cut the 5" charms in fourths and even though mathematically, I should end up with 4 - 2 1/2" squares, I never do. They end up smaller and I have to adjust seam allowances when piecing. Often times, I end up with things that don't line up and piece together well. Instead, when I use patterns that call for 2 1/2" squares, I cut them from fat quarters or from scraps. Never a charm square. This pattern did not call for any 2 1/2" squares. Yes, there was some waste with the charm square, but the pieces are cut accurately and thus, it pieced together like a dream. I will make this pattern again! 

Do you have a favorite charm pack pattern? 

Until next time! Have a happy, quilty day!


10 comments:

  1. One charm pack pattern I like is this one from Moda Bake Shop for a baby quilt!
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/10/baby-lattice-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUILT IS SO ATTRACTIVE! HAPPY DAY!
    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lady at quilt camp this past weekend was working with jelly roll strips. Not all the strips measured 2.5", and it was causing lots of problems. I'm not a fan of pre-cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is so lovely - and the quilting - beautiful! I too struggle with those crimped edges of pre-cuts. Love those shiny pieces of Vintage Holiday, and the Ornament print in there is a favorite. Enjoy your upcoming teaching class, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your barn quilt! I think the border really makes it sing, with the triangles tying into the center block that way. I try to avoid precuts as much as possible. I thought the whole point of buying precuts was that the pieces were cut accurately, but jelly roll strips are never on grain, and whenever I have carefully soaked charm squares or layer cake squares to prewash them, they measure smaller once they have dried. Worst of all, I found that they did not shrink the same amount in both directions, and that makes me VERY leery of using them in a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh amy, this is so cute.
    Now I want to make one. So cute
    Happy Week-end

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a sweet quilt and I love that it can use charm squares...which I have several of!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clare C.
    My grand daughter would love this quilt. I would like to make it for her, if I could buy a pattern anywhere. I'm happy to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet quilt. Hmmm I have tons of scrap 2.5 squares....

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...