Monday's Memory of Mom

June 16, 2008

After a disaster like we have seen in our area the thought of writing a post about my mom when so many are suffering, seems so trivial, so petty...And yet, there is nothing I can do right now. Elizabeth can't get into her home for quite some time. We are all just trying to find our new normal. 

Yesterday was my turn to be in the nursery at church. It was a joy to hold a 3 month old baby, rock her to sleep and give her momma a much needed break. Because my mom had a day care in our home from the time I was 5 until I was long grown and out of the house with a babe of my own, being with babies is second nature to me. My mom always had a baby on her hip and as soon as I was old enough, I did, too. It's second nature to me to hold a fussy baby over my shoulder, patting rhythmically on her back and bounce her up and down while making shushing noises in her ear. It was satisfying getting her to settle down and having her fall asleep in my arms. 

Thank you, Mom, for teaching me how to settle a fussy baby...

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this meme, but I think it's a lovely idea!

    I'm so sorry about all that you Iowans are going through. We have some high waters here in Northern Illinois as well, but not to the extent that you guys are suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by. :o)

    I starting writing about my mom because I miss her and I want to remember all that I can about her. She died 2 years ago this August of breast cancer.

    It's pretty rough around here. At this time we can't do anything, but soon enough, we will all be very busy helping friends and neighbors clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, that's a sweet memory! I'm glad that you posted one and it's not trivial at all. Avoiding your memories doesn't help anyone and it definitely doesn't hurt anyone.

    This horrible situation make us appreciate what we have and brings us before the Lord in prayer. However, we do not have to suffer along.

    We are praying for everyone daily and keep updated through the news. Mom told me that a large part of Indiana is flooded, also. They do not have any at this point.

    You are a great servant and friend. I know that you will do what you can when the opportunity presents itself. ((Amy))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharing memories of the woman who brought you into this world and helped create you to be the amazing woman you are today is not trivial, Amy!

    That is a sweet memory you shared.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...