Monday's Memory of Mom

June 23, 2008

Where did the time go!? I woke up this morning, got my cup of coffee, sat at my computer and the light bulb went on over my head. It's Monday!! The last week and a half has been a blur, but things are beginning to settle down somewhat and we are finding a new normal after the flood. 

As I was getting ready for the day, I thought about my mom and what popped into my mind was Sophie. Sophie is her bichon frise dog. Growing up, we didn't have pets, except for Diane the guinea pig, so it was so shocking to me to see my mom with Sophie. Sophie belonged to my sister, but due to extending circumstances, she wasn't able to keep her, so my mom took Sophie in. I think she originally was just keeping Sophie until my sister could get her back. What I don't think Mom anticipated was how much she would grow to love Sophie and there was no way she would let her go. My mom was a full blown, 100% dog person, but didn't know it until she was in her 60's. Better late than never. :o) She took Sophie everywhere with her. She remarked to me once that she had no idea how comforting it was to have a dog. She babied her. Not in an overboard way like some do, but took care of her and loved her even as Sophie grew older, had lost her teeth and grew some pretty ugly skin tumors on her body. Days before Mom died, she wrote a letter to her husband with instructions to give it to him after the funeral. Toad read it to me over the phone. The ending of her letter was so touching...She said, "I'll see you when you get here. PS, Bring Sophie." 

Sophie is still living with Toad. She is an old gal and close to the end of her life. It will be a sad day for all of us when Sophie dies, however, Mom will be happy to see her again. 


3 comments:

  1. Your mom memories are always so bittersweet. :-)

    I look forward to meeting your mom in Heaven, Amy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat ending to the letter! I really enjoy your Monday's Memory of Mom!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...