Sweet Scrappy Love

February 20, 2013

This darling quilt pattern is designed by my friend Donna @ Donna's Lavender Nest. I've had her pattern for a while, but I kept on putting off making the quilt because I was intimidated by the appliqué. 


However, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? What I did do was to simplify the appliqué blocks into something I felt I could manage and chose to do raw edge appliqué using the zig-zag stitch. It was much easier than I thought it would be and I think it looks nice enough. =) I am far less intimidated by appliqué now. =) 


The flowers are an example of how I simplified things. Notice how they match the fabric I chose? =) I am clever like that. ;-) I do need to redo the stitching around the flowers with a zig-zag stitch like I did on the hearts. 


After it was put together, I decided the blue print was way too bold...


The red print was still more bold than I liked, although, after I added the pink outside border, it calmed the red fabric down some. 


I like the touch of ric rac that Donna added to the blocks. 


When I am done quilting it, I think I will hang it up in my sewing room to admire for a while before it finds a new home. =) 

I consider this a pattern for all skill levels. What I really like about this pattern is how easy it is to change a few things here and there to make each subsequent quilt made from it different. Because of that reason, I would make it again. It's also a great use of scraps, which is what I did with this one. 

You can purchase your own PDF copy of Donna's pattern at her Etsy shop. She also has some cute fabric in her shop as well. I am so tempted to go shopping!! 



16 comments:

  1. Amy, your appliqués turned out great! I can never get my to look great, but I keep trying! Your choice of colors are delightful. Reading your blog makes me 1. wish I had more time to sew & 2. want to take a quilting class (or move in with you and learn right by your side!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I knew you could do it. The quilt is really turning out cute. Someone will really like it. I can see it on your studio wall also. Chris ps. Stay in the snow will be flying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Amy thank you so much for using my pattern. You really have a good eye for color. I love all your color choices. Thank you again sooo much.
    Hugs
    donna

    PS Not sure why my first comment deleted but all is good my friend.
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt, and I love Donna's pattern!! All the prints are perfect together! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I love your quilt and the way that you adapted the pattern to what you wanted, is a great idea!! You keep coming up with the most adorable quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy -

    I love it and wouldn't change a thing!

    Lin
    lindapawlak@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's more fun to try several different applique methods, and pick the one you want for each project. Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those hearts! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I loe this quilt. Your work is beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing it. It was nice meeting you today.
    Have a wonderful Friday,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colors!!! I will have to check out Donna's shop!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, your version of Donna's Scrappy Love is wonderful! I bet she adores it!! I am still afraid to start quilting. What a chicken I am, oh, well, keep encouraging me.
    Bless you,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colors....good job! I love to do the raw edge applique...use the quilting stitch that looks like an E .... having a brain pause!!...anyways, you are doing awesome!! You Go!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...