Ombre Gems Quilt Along and other projects

April 5, 2018

The Ombre Gems Quilt Along is in full swing, but it's not too late to join. You can find all the information on Emily's blog Quilty Love. Normally I get overly excited with a quilt along and jump ahead, but this time I am not going to do that. I am not 100% confident with making these blocks and I am waiting for the tips Emily will be sharing when it comes to trimming these blocks. Due to the shape and the odd math that is created with how they were constructed, they won't trim to an exact number. They will have to be trimmed "close enough." This is way out of my comfort zone!! In fact, I almost backed out of doing this quilt along because of it, but I am forging ahead and I am going to try to allow them to be what they are. Feel free to remind me if I forget that close enough will be good enough, please. *smile*


A project I have in the planning phase is to recreate a Cotton Creek Mill shop sample I made 3 years ago. I still love it to this day!! The pattern I used is the cover photo for the book Vintage Vibe by Amber@Gigi's Thimble with the fabric Fresh Cut by Basic Grey. I am going to attempt to recreate the shop's sample using a mix of Fresh Cut and the new Basic Grey line Meraki. I sorted the fabric last weekend, figured out some math and now I am letting it sit. I am not quite ready to commit and  cut into the horded beloved Fresh Cut fabric yet. 


Have you seen the temperature quilts that are being shared on Pinterest, Instagram and blogs?? Just do a search and you will find them. I heard about them in January, but was not in a place where I felt like I could make one. Of course, seeing people update their progress has made me regret that earlier descion and now I want to make one, too!! I began some research last night and was able to find a way to get all the temerature data for my area since January 1, so I could join in even though we are in April.  Or I could start in May and run it until next May. As you can see, I am still processing and planning. =) 

Let me know what you are up to! I would love to hear! 


11 comments:

  1. This year is a perfect year for a temperature quilt. The amount of varying temperatures we've had will make it very colourful.

    I am sitting this year out. In 2016 I crocheted a temperature throw. When I started I didn't know my mum would die and it has been a lovely reminder of the year. It doesn't make me sad because she encouraged me to craft. I wove in a gold fiber to mark the day.

    I have Jan through April of my 2017 temperature quilt done. The dog days of summer did me in.

    I had planned on a cross stitch one but the patterns I've seen have been ugly. I need to look at the quilt versions and see if I can modify.

    What website are you using for your historic data? I use Weather Underground.

    Final comment- I could kick myself for not getting Fresh Cut. I love Basic Gray. I wasted Hello Gorgeous. Stupid mini quilt. I think that's what the line was called. Had a lot of pink and teal in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I am so sorry about the death of your mom. The projects and creations you made at that time do cover your heart with some good memories, I know.

      Delete
    2. Rosemary,
      thank you so much. You are so kind.

      Delete
  2. The front cover quilt of Gigi's Thimble is one I would love to attempt some day too, love that book. Hope you have fun with your temperature quilt - looking forward to your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go for it Amy.
    I have way too many pots on the burner these days. I think your quilt would be beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ombre gems is looking gorgeous. I so totally get it about sticking to the pattern, waiting for the hints. The ombre quilt I started (1 tiny section) has me freaked out it is all mental. LOL But I have to get it done in the next couple of weeks. I am almost finished with the project which is due right before it so next up. LOL Gorgeous fabrics, love the dot is that grunge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I love working on my temperature quilt. I get behind, but I get caught up pretty quickly. Especially during what seems the interminable winter (woke up to snow today) it is nice to see the temps going up even a slight bit each month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two beautiful projects in the works. Can not wait to see the Dresden quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that pink dot from Fresh Cut - used some of it in my New Years mystery quilt. Wish I could get a bit more for a border, but it's hard to find! I've been looking at Grunge Hits the Spot, but the pinks are different.... Love Meraki too! Looking forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well those are VERY interesting blocks!! What a pretty quilt. Too much piecing for me....you know I had to go look up a temperature quilt, very interesting idea. Mine would be mostly blue, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having this 'found' you on Pinterest, I confess to being totally lost. I was 'following' a gorgeous big one block quilt posted May 2, 2018, by A Quilting Sheep, but I cannot find mention of it here on your site. Would LOVE to have that pattern. Do you know the quilt I mean? I have no idea what a temperature quilt is, nor a squircle (although sounds like it's a combination of a circle in a square)...it is intriguing, though. Will have to investigate. I seem to spend most of my time searching for things these days. Love your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...