Fig Tree ~ Disappearing 9 Patch

October 28, 2019

It's time to share what I made with these beeauties! 


When I originally bought the charm packs, my intent was to just sew them together in a simple patchwork style, which would have been perfectly fine, but I decided to mix them up a bit more and make a quilt out of them using the Disappearing Nine Patch instead. I had 252 charms and I needed 270 for my project, so I added some coordinating solids from my stash. 


I made 30 nine patches total. In each of the nine-patches, I placed a solid charm in the middle which will be the small squares when it is cut into fourths. If you are not familiar with the Disappearing Nine Patch, be sure to check out this link to see how a Disappearing Nine Patch is made. 



 Instead of keeping each of the cut nine patches together by turning two of the blocks and resewing them together again, I mixed them up with the other nine patches that I cut. I wanted each of the blocks to have four different colors of the solids. They are the little squares in the upper right-hand corner. 



Now the four squares are sewn back into a bigger patch. See how scrappy they are now? That was what I was going for!!


I really wish I had a design wall, but the floor will have to do! 



The finished top! It finishes at approx 66" x 79".  Perfect fall colors, don't you think? 


I had nothing in my stash that would work for the backing so I bought this yardage from the Farmhouse II line from an Etsy shop. I love the blue color...


The Disappearing Nine Patch is a super quick beginner-friendly stash buster pattern and it always looks so cute! Charm packs are perfect for this pattern! 


Do you have a favorite charm pack pattern that you like to use? Please share! 


10 comments:

  1. This turned out perfect. I love the solids intermixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is the perfect fall colors! I've so many charm packs, it's hard to choose a fave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt and I love all the different lines put together with the solids. Great colors and the backing is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out beautifully! Great choice with adding in the solids and mixing it all up. There is one pattern from Diary of a Quilter, called Patchwork on Point that I want to try. A favorite pattern is from MSQC that uses extra fabric for the big star in the centre. I sometimes struggle to use up my charm packs, and often just cut them down to 4.5" and make patchwork quilts from them :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a good idea. I need to make a zillion of these.
    happy Tuesday Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Fig Tree fabrics, I used some of these in my Village quilt. I like to use charm squares to make a simple quilt, putting the squares on point with sashing and corner squares around each charm. I will have to check to see if I have enough charms for a disappearing nine patch, I have not made one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done Amy! This is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cheerful (and great-looking!) quilt! I'm a big fan of Fig Tree & Co. fabrics.
    One of my favourite patterns using charms is called Falling Charms - it's a freebie from the Missouri Star Quilt Co. and is a fairly simple pattern but with a lot of impact. Hope this link takes you to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkpbFKBaKA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love disappearing nine-patch! Your quilt turned out so cute.
    One quilt pattern I liked was called Tumbling Charms, which uses charm squares and a jelly roll. I made it as a prayer quilt, then the recipient gave it to her 2 year old, so I guess it became a baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...