My Best Forever Friend

January 25, 2008


My Laurie is my best forever friend of 22 years. I guess the cool way to say it is like this, "BFF."

When I first realized that our friendship was unique was at a divorce support group I was attending. I don't recall know how the topic of friendships came up that caused me to share about my Laurie, however I can vividly remember how the room became silent and all eyes were on me. It didn't take long for me to figure out that the atmosphere had changed in the room. In the uncomfortable silence, I hesitantly asked the group, "Don't you all have a friend like my Laurie?" An older gentleman in his 70's said to me, "What you have with your friend is rare. I have never experienced a friendship like the one you have with your friend." Every one in that room nodded in agreement with his statement.


I sat there in stunned silence. I had no idea. I thought everyone had a friend who knew everything there was to know about them. It was an epiphany for me.


I wish I could say that from that moment on I have never taken my Laurie for granted or that I have expressed my gratitude for all that she does for me every day or that I have never forgotten to make her a coconut cream pie from scratch for her birthday, but that would be a lie. I'm two years late with my Laurie's coconut cream pie from scratch birthday pie and know what? She still loves me. Amazing....


In the verses from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, replace the word love with Laurie and you will have a clear picture of how blessed I am to have my Laurie as my BFF.


Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.


Love you, Laurie!!!

1 comment:

  1. Laurie Says:
    January 25, 2008 at 11:05 pm e
    Oh, my goodness…… now you’ve gone and made me cry! Now, if I could only get you to understand that MY life has been richly blessed because God knew I needed a friend like YOU. And what a gift it was when your mother introduced me to you 23 years ago.

    Luv ya!!

    Hey!! wait a minute…… you were talking about me at your divorce care group???

    Marilyn Says:
    January 26, 2008 at 1:55 am e
    Oh, that is so sweet! I know that you are both blessings to each other. Your friendship is rare. I have many girl friends and several that could be like you and Laurie if we lived near each other. Distance affects things. I’ve also thought that I had this type of relationship and then realized it wasn’t so. Don’t ever take each other for granted.

    I knew your friendship was rare when I first read about how you take care of and love Nevin. I immediately wanted an “Amy”. Not for a babysitter, but knowing that someone could share my love for my special guy…a part of my soul. You are the only “Amy” that I know of in a special needs parent’s life. You are very special and don’t forget it!

    I’m thankful that you have each other!

    redeemedsheep Says:
    January 26, 2008 at 9:50 am
    Go ahead and cry…I cry every time I read it and I wrote it! LOL!!

    Marilyn, I don’t know what to say. I don’t feel special. I just feel like me. I love Nevin with all of my heart and he has blessed me beyond my ability to express in words. I wish you lived closer. I know I would love your Mr. B, too…

    Renna Says:
    January 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm e
    Amy, what a beautiful tribute to a truly special friend. I’ve known since the first time I ‘heard’ you talking about your Laurie on the Swap that she was special, and that your friendship is special and unique. What a blessing from God for you both!


    Amy Says:
    February 5, 2008 at 12:30 pm
    Just now catching up with my friends - What a beautiful post and a wonderful tribute to your friendship.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...