New quilting table

February 14, 2009

Marguerita of Crazy Shortcut Quilts, has 3 great video tutorials on how to make an inexpensive quilting table. Rusty and I spent last night making one. The theory is I will make a quilt one of these days. :o)

I was tickled PINK when we found pink foam insulation.

I ran out to JoAnn's this morning and purchased the vinyl sheet for the top and cut it to fit.

Here it is, all ready for me to practice free motion quilting! I will be practicing on a baby quilt that I purchased for $1.47 at the Salvation Army. I removed the back that was on it and made a new quilt sandwich with batting and a pretty red material for the back. I bought it just for this purpose. I would much rather practice on something I am not bonded to, if you know what I mean. That's why the Crazy Shortcut Quilt I started is taking me so long to finish and why I was bold enough to contact Marguerita for help. I'm making it for Brooklyn and I want it to look as good as possible.

I'm off to give it a try!! :-D

Update:

The table was amazing! My quilt was well supported and the material would glide over the vinyl.

An example of my first try at free motion quilting. Normally, I would use a color that matched the material, but I wanted to see what I was doing AND, I wanted to use cheap thread for my practice, not my good Gutermann thread. Not great, but not too horrible, either.


This is an example why I want to buy fabric adhesive for basting my quilt sandwiches instead of quilting safety pins. LOL!


4 comments:

  1. This is incredible - maybe I'd get some quilting done if I had such an awesome set-up - maybe not.... :)

    I think your quilting practice looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT IS SOOOOOOOO COOL!!!!! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Amy, at the rate you are going, you will probably be teaching classes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...Roight! :-P

    Hello class...I am here to teach you what not to do.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...