The worst ever migraine

September 9, 2008

I began to get a migraine at our church's business meeting Sunday night. It was a stressful, emotionally charged meeting that lasted over 3 hours. I ended up leaving church sobbing. It was hard to see my pastors being unfairly attacked. The stress of that meeting carried over to Monday, I decided to deal with it by bingeing, yes...bingeing on a whole bag of Brachs Malted Milk Balls. Big mistake. Not just because of the huge amount of calories, but chocolate and migraines do not go together well. Last night, I went to bed with the worst migraine I have ever had in my life. I had taken all the Frova, migraine medication, I was allowed. I took extra Xanax to try to get me to relax and to make me "pass out" so I could sleep through the the pain. Nothing was working. Russ rubbed my head for 2 hours as I alternated from sobbing, to almost relaxing enough to fall asleep, when the next wave of pain would come and I would sob again. Poor man felt so helpless. At 11:00 he called Laurie while I stumbled into the bathroom to run a hot tub bath, hoping the warm water would help me relax, which it did. After calling Laurie, he called my doctor's office and talked to who was on call. They said if I can't get to sleep, to get me to the ER where they would give me a large does of antihistamine in shot form to help me with the pain. I am thankful we didn't need to resort to that measure, but it's good to know what I can do if I ever have a migraine that severe again. 

5 comments:

  1. I'd never had a migraine til this year - now I get one once a month. . .
    it is crazy! I had one like you are describing the last night we we in Chickasaw in May; middle of the night, middle of nowhere, I had nothing. .. . I PRAYED; the Lord was good to me.

    Glad the bath helped you. I'll have to remember that. AND remember that chocolate and migraines don't mix!

    And I KNOW ALL ABOUT church drama, so I have sympathy and empathy for you there, as well.

    Hope tomorrow is a great day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only had one migraine, but it was nothing like yours! I'm so thankful that you have Russ...what a doll! He takes such good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sister, I sooo can relate. When we adopted Cierah, I got the absolute worst migraine of my life the first night she was with us (newborn; picked her up at the hospital). After caring for her through the night, I woke up with constant nausea and was unable to walk. Dh was at work and I was in the country, so I had to call my parents to rescue me (and our children). I ended up in the ER for anti-nausea injections, strong pain meds, and an MRI. Migraines are a serious pain to be reckoned with. I'm so sorry you suffer from them as well.
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, meant to say I *love* the graphics on your blog. The background seems like genuine texture (not just an image on the screen) and the colors and header are wonderful.
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the kind words, Toni. :o) I bought Photoshop Elements this summer. I used my blog as practice. :o)

    I am still not 100% over the migraine. :o( I can't imagine having a new baby and having one like that, though. That would be awful!

    Next time, I'm heading to the ER. I never want to go through that again.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...