Romans 8 - Wonderful read for this election day...

November 4, 2008

A dear sister in Christ, emailed me this morning with these words of encouragement from God's Word. I pray they bless you as they have blessed me.

This election morning for my devotions I was drawn to read Romans 8.
I thought you, too, might be encouraged by some of these wonderful
truths.  (It may sound a bit different to you than usual -- I've been
reading some from the New Living Translation, which my sister gave me,
because sometimes I pay better attention to the words if the
translation is slightly different than I'm used to.)

Romans 8

So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.
And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has
freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. . . .

So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves.
Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own
children.  Now we call him, "Abba, Father."  . . .  And since we are
his children, we are his heirs.  In fact, together with Christ we are
heirs of God's glory.  But if we are to share his glory, we must also
share his suffering.

Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal
to us later. . . .

And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness.  For example, we don't
know what Gd wants us to pray for.  But the Holy Spirit prays for us
with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.  And the Father who
knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit
pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will.  And we know
that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who
love God and are called according to his purpose for them. . . .

What shall we say about such wonderful things as these?  If God is for
us, who can ever be against us?  Since he did not spare his own Son
but gave him up for us all, won't he also give us everything else?
Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own?:  No one -- for
God himself has given us right standing with himself. . . .

Can anything ever separate us form Christ's love?  Does it mean he no
longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or
hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?  . . .
No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours though
Christ, who loved us.

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love.
Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears
for today nor our worries about tomorrow -- not even the powers of
hell can separate us from God's love.  No power in the sky above or in
the earth below -- indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able
to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus
our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...