Things In My House Thursday #16

November 13, 2008



For your consideration, I present my favorite fork, spoon and knife. Pretty silly, huh? They are from the set of silverware that I grew up with. (If someone can figure out how to end that sentence without the word with, please tell me.) On one of the last days my mom was alive, I told her all kinds of things. Things I thought, but never said. I was compelled to say every little thing that I ever thought while I had the time. For example, I told her how much I loved the silverware. I was thrilled when she told me I could take a place setting. Maybe someday, I'll get the whole set. 

This next item is something else she gave me that day. I don't know for sure what it's used for, but I always thought it was neat. Maybe it's a butter knife, err flat spoon?? When I dug it out of the silverware drawer today, it was very tarnished, like it has always looked when I was growing up. Oh a whim, I used some silver polish on it and it cleaned up so nicely. I'm pretty sure it's not real silver. Maybe it's plated?? Anyway, I like it. :o)

Come join us for Things In My House Thursday and share your stuff!!

2 comments:

  1. This is a sweet story; I have a few pieces of silverware that I avoid using.... unless there is nothing else clean : ) , but I don't have any favorites. Certainly none with sentimental value.

    Thanks for being part of TIMHT - sorry I was late about visiting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how we can become attached to such things. We have one spoon in our silverware drawer which was part of my mom's everyday set. It apparently survived their housefire by being at our house at the time. Probably one of the kids brought home a bowl of something with that spoon in it. Anyway, it's my son's favorite spoon. He ALWAYS goes for that spoon when he opens the silverware drawer. I'm not sure if it's because of the spoon's design, or if it merely reminds him of his youth, and times at his grandparents.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...