Memories of Mom

December 12, 2008

Photobucket

My birthday was especially memorable this year. For many reasons, my mom was at the center of it...

My step-dad gifted me with my mother's sewing machine. It's an oldie but goodie. I know my mom spent 1000's of hours creating quilts and other projects on it. I am slowly, but surely, figuring it out.

Photobucket

My darling hubby purchased the table for me. We found it at a consignment shop. I know it's really ugly, but I have a good feeling that under all that horrendous peeling paint, there is a treasure waiting to be revealed. I know my mom would have purchased it in a heartbeat. As for where I will put it, I share the same answer as my mom...I'll find a place. :o)

And last, but not least by a long shot, Shirley, my mom's best friend of 48 years shared a memory of my mom that is perfectly fitting...

Me: Tell me how you and my mom met.

Shirley:
We had moved on Maplecrest 3 1/2 years earlier but your mom and I were both working and did not get acquainted.................then Bob got drafted right after our first anniversary and left for basic training the end of Oct. 1958 and I lived alone across the street that winter before leaving to join him in N.C.

We returned the end of Oct., 1960 from our Army assignment, two years in North Carolina, and I was expecting my first baby the end of December! Your mom was watching from across the street and saw "my condition" from day one, I am sure. When she returned home from the hospital with her new baby AMY........................ she called and invited me over to see her beautiful baby! I was so excited to meet her and of course, see the new baby girl, as that was what Bob wanted us to get! We had become well enough acquainted by the time I went to the hospital early on the morning of Dec. 26, that we were reporting in to her from the hospital hourly! Our boy arrived late that night, after being in St. Lukes, in Cedar Rapids, ALL DAY! At that time new mom's could not have company in the hosp. so we did not get together for 4 or 5 days but that was when the fun began.......................

What is amazing is that Shirley still lives in that same house and I live just a few blocks away. I never really left home...I can honestly say, it was one of the best birthdays I have ever had. :o)

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I am so glad you had a wonderful birthday... thank you for letting me be part of it all. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!

    I could never figure out that sewing machine, but I glad you'll be able to; what a perfect gift.

    That table has tons of potential and looks like great workspace.

    Always love your Mom stories; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, it is so neat that you have someone that knew your mom so well, that can share those memories with you. I'm sure that helps keep your mom 'close' to you.

    As brainy as you are, I've no doubt you'll be going to town with that machine in no time after you spend some time getting to know it.

    That table has lovely possibilities!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...