Poor Scotty...

December 4, 2008


Poor Scotty, he has a swollen anal gland that may be infected.

*Don't look it up on Google unless you have a strong stomach. You have been warned!*

I've never had to express any of the pups' anal glands and I really don't care to, thank-you-very-much, so when I noticed that Scotty's was very swollen, I knew a vet visit was in order. He HATES the vet. He gets extremely stressed out and has been known to lose his control of his...Ummm...Never mind...

Scotty also has terrible breath and his teeth look horrible. I have been meaning to get him in for a dental. The vet suggested that we go ahead and schedule a dental so both procedures could be done at once while he was under anesthesia. I agreed it was a good plan, even though it was going to be a financial ouch.

To make matters worse, I just got a call from the vet. She is recommending that Scotty have 10 teeth pulled!!

Poor Scotty, he is going to be sore on both ends. O, the joys of being a fur kid owner, but I wouldn't trade them for anything. :o) Well, except for a baby, but since that is out of the question and not in the realm of possibilities, I won't go there. ;o)

Update: The news got a bit worse...The anal gland had ruptured!! YIKES!! And, he had to have 11 teeth pulled. He will be on antibiotics for 5 days a month for the next 6 months to see it that helps keep the bacteria down in his mouth to prevent him from losing more teeth. The sticker shock hurts, but not as bad as his mouth and bottom hurts, I'm sure. *wink*

3 comments:

  1. Poor Scotty..
    My what eyes he has!!! The color is stunning... but they are so wide open it looks as though you just described the procedures to him. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your dog's problems!

    We had a dog named Scotty once upon a time....

    Those eyes on your dog-wow...what a kodak moment !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scotty is surely going to get extra TLC from the vet; who wouldn't love that face?

    Our Jack has terrible doggie breath and the vet keeps telling us we need to schedule a cleaning - but at nearly $200 for the task - we will probably put it off until it becomes some kind of emergency..... : (

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...