Comfort Zones

February 22, 2008

I think it would be safe to say that we all have comfort zones. Comfort zones where we like to stay in the physical world, like our homes, our cities or our favorite stores. We have comfort foods that we enjoy at celebrations or during times of stress. One of mine is baked rice. Yummy....And comfort zones where we like to serve in our churches. 

Yesterday, I found myself WAY out of my comfort zone...

Wednesday night, a call for help came to our church from a mom with 3 children. She had left an abusive situation and was at a hotel, however, she only had enough money to stay the one night and had no food. After prayer meeting, a deacon asked me if I would be willing to buy groceries to deliver to her and take a check from the church to pay for a few more nights at the hotel. Everything that was within me was screaming, "Ask someone else!!! This is OUT  of my comfort zone." My mouth said, "Sure. I'll do that." I turned to Cheryl, my dear friend and sister-in-Christ, and asked if she would be willing to come with me. Oh, was I ever relieved that she said yes! Cheryl is calm and practical. I figured this was in her comfort zone, so she could support me as I took myself out of mine. A match made in heaven for this excursion. 

The next morning, as Cheryl and I were shopping for groceries and talking up a storm at Wal-Mart, I casually mentioned how what we were doing was way out of my comfort zone and I was glad she was with me.  She informed me that this was out of HER comfort zone, too! What??? Yikes!!! Okay...At least I wasn't the only one nervous. I guess that's good...Right? Right...

Cheryl placed me in charge of doing all the talking. I talk a lot, in case you didn't know. *wink* That's IN my comfort zone. :-D 

Making the delivery and meeting the mom along with her children went really well. I found I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. Seeing the look of gratitude on the mom's weary eyes took away all thoughts of myself and my unimportant comfort zone. Seeing the children being excited to have some of their favorite foods in the sacks (thank you, God, for leading us in our food choices!) put things in perspective. And, God,  being merciful and kind, poured His blessings out upon me...

Know what? I hope I am asked to do this again. I want to do it often enough that it becomes part of my comfort zone.  

Have you stepped out of your comfort zone lately? 


6 comments:

  1. What blessings we know when we step out of our comfort zone! Bless you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I can totally see that deacon asking you to do this, because it's the sort of thing I would have assumed is in your comfort zone. With your exuberant personality, and your merciful heart, you'd seem the obvious choice to me! ;-)

    God knows I'd rather stay in the comfort of my own home and let my service be 'praying', but I've asked Him to lead me into the situations He'd have me go. I've been praying for boldness to do what He'd have me do, and wisdom to know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh yes, I do know what you mean. I do NOT like leaving my comfort zone. I think mostly because I'm so shy. I'm glad you found someone to go with you and it turned out to be a huge blessing. You are such a wonderful person Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn@A Mixed BouquetFriday, February 22, 2008

    My first thought was the same as Renna. I can see this being perfect for you! Thanks for carrying for this woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The part that was mostly hard was going to her and not having her come to me. If she had come to the church, where I feel comfortable, it wouldn't have been any problem.

    It was very good for me, to step out in that way. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well THANK GOD, Amy!
    I LOVE going on errands for God.

    Where He leads, He also preceeds.
    Where He guides, He provides.

    Haven't we seen God work in those ways?

    Thank God for your willing - obedient heart.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...