Monday's Memory of Mom

February 11, 2008

I think it's fitting to start the very first Monday's Memory of Mom with the first memory I have of her. I was in the hospital with hepatitis. I think I was 3...Maybe not quite 3 because I know that the nurses potty trained me. My mom said I was stubborn and refused to go for her on the potty chair. That would be true. I do have a bit of a stubborn streak. :-) The isolation room, that was to be my home while I recovered, was an ugly green. I call it bathroom green. The ugly green color that old gas station bathrooms are painted. I have often wondered why people would chose that color. Blech! I was standing in the crib, holding on to the cold, steel bars. I wonder if I was crying. I don't know...I do know that I could see my mom and dad waving at me through a tiny window in the grey door. The kind of window that has the chicken fence wire in the glass. She was waving and smiling...I wonder if she was crying. I don't know....I do know that I would have been crying if Haley had been the one in the crib and I was the one waving through the glass window. Waving and smiling with tears rolling down my face....

3 comments:

  1. ANY ugly green automatically brings up the thought of "Baby Poop Green". LOL Maybe it has to do with the fact that I spent about 25 years of my life changing diapers...eh? LOL LOL

    How sweet to remember this.
    It brings to mind that place in the Word where it speaks to us that there is a great cloud of witnesses looking in on us. It's a nice thought that your Mother may be one of them....just like you remember her in the hospital.

    Nice thought, eh? :)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn@A Mixed BouquetTuesday, February 12, 2008

    What a bittersweet memory. It's nice that you don't remember crying or being sad. Cute thought about them potty training you.

    I'm looking forward to these Monday posts! I'm just running behind on reading this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My earliest memory is of being in the hospital about the same age or a little younger, Amy, though my mom's not in that memory. I just remember how embarrassed I was at being put in a CRIB, being the big girl I was an all. ;-)

    I also look forward to more sharing of memories of your mom. It's interesting reading for us, and therapeutic for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...