Monday's Memory of Mom

April 14, 2008


My mom loved all things denim. Denim coats, denim jumpers, denim dresses, denim purses, denim hats...Her closets were full of denim. A day or two before she died, when I had a few minutes alone with her, I told her that I was going to go purchase a new denim dress to wear to her funeral in honor of her love of denim. She told me to just go to her closet and pick out one of her dresses. She described the one that she thought would look the best on me and one that would fit. (We were not built the same. *wink*) I took advantage of her suggestion and began to dig in one of her many closets of clothes. She was a bit of a clothes horse, but don't forget, she was cheap frugal. I found my favorite denim jumper of hers, but alas, it was too small for me. *sigh* I found the one she told me to look for...I tried it on and it fit!!! When I told her I found it and it fit perfectly, she smiled.
The dress I wore to her funeral.

She added the decorative buttons to dress it up and make it more her.


This is the dress that I LOVE and wanted to wear. My weight loss goal is to be able to wear this dress. :o) I loved this one on my mom and complemented her every time I saw her in it. I am almost positive that she added the frayed denim to the pockets and around the bottom of the jumper herself.

This dress is another example of how she could take something simple and plain, modify it and turn it almost into a work of wearable art.
The front of the dress.

The back of the dress.

Close up of the bottom front of the dress. Now, how in the world did she think of sewing on doilies to a dress to make it more interesting? Everything was hand sown on. It must have taken her hours to do. I don't know if I will ever wear this one. I don't think I could carry it off like she did. *wink*


Mom and denim Denim and Mom...I will never be able think of one without the other.




6 comments:

  1. That's such a sweet story, Amy. Your mom's personality really comes through in what you write. I hope my children have such memories of me some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what your mom did to that dress; who WOULD think of adding doilies and buttons and making such a cute design from it?

    Thanks for sharing all this; it is very touching but it's sweet and funny and inspiring also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn@A Mixed BouquetMonday, April 14, 2008

    Oh, what a sweet post! I really look forward to your Monday posts. I've been running all day, but wondered what you would be posting today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are bittersweet, Amy. I truly enjoy getting "to know" your mom through you, but it leaves me wanting to meet her. Some day, we can all meet your mom in Heaven. I'll bet she'll be wearing denim, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an imagination your Mom had, Amy! How nice that you can STILL enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom was SO creative!

    I really look forward to Monday's Memory of Mom - sorry I'm so late this week!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...