Two sides of adoption

April 24, 2008

Yesterday was a beautiful day. The weather was in the middle 70's. The sun was shining brightly. The flowers were in bloom. And I got to see my darling grand-daughter Brooklyn. The weather matched my mood.

Today it's pouring rain. The flowers are leaning over as if they are hanging their heads in sorrow. Once again, the weather is matching my mood because I cry when I gaze upon the pictures of Brooklyn. It's so complicated, or maybe I make it complicated because, as an adoptive parent myself, I see both sides of adoption. I cry out of joy, gratitude, and sadness...

Sadness: 
*Having my first grandchild placed for adoption.
 
Joy:
 *My son and his girlfriend chose life for their baby in a society that that doesn't think twice about killing unborn babies.
 
Gratitude: 
*Brooklyn is with a family that loves her! They are such amazing parents....I get such a kick out of watching her daddy play with her. Steve is fairly quiet and shy, so when he gets all goofy for his daughter, it's fun to watch. He ADORES her...

*They decided to have an open adoption so I receive picture updates and can see her when schedules allow.
 
*Brooklyn's parents refer to me as "Grandma." Capitol "G." Okay...Now I cry again. This is what is making me weepy today. I do not, nor would I ever presume to call myself "Grandma" as a proper name to be used by Brooklyn. I think of myself as a grandma, not Grandma. Jen's mom and Steve's mom are Grandma. It's touching and sweet that Jen called me Grandma because she didn't have to...

So, when the time comes for my boys to meet their birth families, I need to remember how much it means to me to be referred by the proper pro-noun Grandma and bless their families with the same gift.
 
Thank you, Jen, for being my teacher by example...I love you...

Now...Wanna see my sweet Grand-daughter??

 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord
the fruit of the womb a reward. 
Psalm 127:3

5 comments:

  1. Marilyn@A Mixed BouquetThursday, April 24, 2008

    As I've told you before, she's just precious. She keeps getting more and more so, too! I loved your sweet post. As an adoptive mom, you're helping me to grow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Amy, she's so, so, soooo sweet looking.

    I am really enjoying getting to know you better through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy your post about your Granddaughter is very touching. She's a BEAUTIFUL child. I'm thankful that you are able to be a part of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is soooooo cute; she looks like the sweetest little baby. I'd be one of those strangers that wanted to pick her up and hold her if I met her somewhere : )

    This story is very touching; thanks for sharing.

    So many emotions; but it appears that God has worked out a near-perfect solution to the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found it very touching to watch our Lord work in your family as you moved through this pregnancy and adoption. She IS a beautiful baby with a wonderful Grandma!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...