Freeing my hard drive...

May 13, 2008

The other night I was checking the weather forecast on my dashboard weather widget and gave a cursory glance at my iStat Pro widget. My eyes bugged out, I blinked several times and looked again. What?? Only 8.91 GB of free hard drive space?! What happened!!!??? I had 24+ GB not that long ago. I checked iTunes to see how much space I was using. 12 GB, not bad. Pictures? Not bad there, either...But to be sure, I went ahead and removed some podcasts, burned my pictures to a DVD and removed a lot of them off of iPhoto. Now the iStat reported I had 12 GB free. Better, but something still wasn't right. I was completely puzzled as to where all my hard drive space had run off to. Those who know me well, know I'm just enough brave to be foolish. I took a peek at my hard drive to see what was there. I found a folder called previous systems. After opening it up, I found two more folders that were dated from the two times I had to archive/install my OS. I am NOT foolish enough to delete things without checking them out first, so I headed on over to the Apple Forums. I love reading the posts over at Apple Forums. I always learn something new about Macs there. The search was short and sweet, the kind I like, and it became very clear why my hard drive was so full. The previous system files needed to go. In about an hour, that's how long it took for the two files to delete, I went from 12 GB free to 40.41 GB  free. Ahhhh...Much better! 

As you can see, I downloaded some new podcasts. :-D


9 comments:

  1. Amy, I'd love to have your ability to understand all that!

    What I heard was "The other night I was checking the weather forecast on my ....blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....As you can see, I downloaded some new podcasts.". ;-Þ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the same thing!!! Thankfully my dh is a computer tech b/c I'd be lost without him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 years ago, I told my children they couldn't turn on the computer because if something happened to it, I wouldn't know how to fix it. They knew a lot more than I did a that time. Then a sweet soul introduced me to email, than to IM, then I found the Swap. That's where I learned the most about computers. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I figured the space was taken up by all the sermons of your pastor that you downloaded and just couldn't bring yourself to delete...

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, Renna is funny; and I only sort of heard the the same thing she did. . .

    I do know that I wouldn't be happy with only 12 GB either, but seriously doubt I could have handled the situation by myself.

    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the risk of causing my pastor to be puffed up with pride, I will admit that NONE of his sermons will be deleted off of my iTune and iPod...Ever! I enjoy them and need to hear them. Now the Mother's Day sermon is a whole 'nuther story! Ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You smarty pants!!!
    You do so good!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the interest of practicing humility, why don't you link to it, and conduct a poll, seeing if your readers think I actually received input from your hubby *sigh* before writing it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am speechless....And terrified at the thought!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...