Monday's Memory of Mom

May 18, 2008


One of my favorite things to do with my mom was to go to auctions. It was fun to look at all the old stuff and to hear the auctioneer rattle off  nonsense words that everyone seemed to understand. It was something that just the two of us did. It was my time to have my mom all to myself. I needed to grab what time I could to be with her because she was very busy dealing my brother and my sister who, for lack of better words, had special needs. 

Most of the furniture that we owned came from auctions that my mom purchased and then refinished. I can picture her in my mind wearing yellow Playtex gloves, wearing her old clothes, using furniture stripper and a putty knife, removing layer after layer of paint on an old dresser, cupboard, bed or an old bench until the oak, pine or cherry wood was exposed in all it's glory. She would spend hours in the back yard refinishing furniture during the summer. 

Here are a few things that I own that she purchased and refinished. The first dresser needs attention. I need to replace the ornate wood that goes on the bottom. I have it, I just haven't taken the time to put it back on. A couple of the drawers need adjusting, too. One of these days, I'll get to it. 




2 comments:

  1. Marilyn@A Mixed BouquetMonday, May 19, 2008

    What a neat time to share with your mom. Plus, you have items to show for it in addition to your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom was such a talented and creative person, Amy!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to leave a comment!
I will respond to your comment/questions in an email unless you have your email hidden. In that case, I will reply to your comment on my blog. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much spam was coming through.

Grace and peace to all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...